Hello everyone 💜
It’s not exactly the middle middle of the year, but the 3rd of June is close enough for me and wow, time has flown.
Working 6 days a week hasn’t been kind to my blogging and reading schedule, but strangely, I seem to be on a roll so far this year. Honestly, I thought I’d end up being in a few reading slumps (which I did, but reading fanfiction is a surefire way for me to get out of it 😂) and having to take a hiatus now and then (which I didn’t, so woohoo!!).
Anyway, on to the rest of this post!
For the first half of this year, I’ve…
- The Twisted Tree by Rachel Burge ★★★☆☆
- Coin Locker Babies by Ryū Murakami ★★★☆☆
- Wolverine: The Long Night by Marvel and Stitcher ★★★★.5
- The Secret Runners of New York by Matthew Reilly ★★★.5
- The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid ★★★★☆
- Sadie by Courtney Summers ★★★★☆
- House of Holes by Nicholson Baker ★☆☆☆☆
- Lace Up by Shae Ross [DNF, Mini Review] ☆☆☆☆☆
- The Weight of Our Sky – Hanna Alkaf ★★★.5
- The Burning by Laura Bates ★★★.5
- Malamander by Thomas Taylor ★★★★.5
- The Chalk Man by C.J. Tudor [DNF, Mini Review] ☆☆☆☆☆
- 花樣年華 HYYH The Notes 1 by BigHit Entertainment ★★★☆☆
- Sawkill Girls by Claire Legrand ★★★.5
- Dark Places by Gillian Flynn ★★☆☆☆
- Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid ★★★★☆
- Stepsister by Jennifer Donnelly ★★★.5
- Alice by Christina Henry [DNF, Mini Review] ☆☆☆☆☆
- The Way I Used to Be by Amber Smith ★★★★☆
- Rumblestar by Abi Elphinstone ★★★.5
None for this year so far! I mostly read non-fiction for school, so it’s not a surprise but I do kind of miss reading them and writing academic essays 😂😅
THUS FAR IN 2018…
Best Book I’ve Read
Not a book, but this podcast is the best podcast I’ve EVER listened to! Brilliant, complex, multilayered and immersive, I want to complement the entire cast and team behind this until my mouth is completely dry. Also, the Season 2 of this recently came out and I’m a bundle of excitement but also holding myself back until at least five episodes are out. God knows I’ll binge on this the moment I start!
DNFed books aside, the biggest disappointment for me so far this here is Nicholson Baker’s House of Holes. Rarely am I so conflicted on my stance towards a book as I was (and still am) with this one. The author’s actual purpose aside (because who really knows except the author?), I can’t even decide on what I think the author’s purpose for this book is.
Looking at the books I’ve read for the past few years, I think it’s pretty clear that Middle Grade Fiction isn’t my go-to genre. I’ve simply grown out of it (as I mentioned multiple times at other places before). So yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked Thomas Taylor’s Malamander.
~ * ~
POSTED OTHER STUFF LIKE
- 2018 Wrap-Up and New Year Goals!
- How Does One Face a Favorite Author (or just authors one admires in general) Without Freaking Out?
- 5 Best Cliched Books I’ve Read EVER
- 6 of My Small but Certain Happiness – Bibliophile Edition!
- DNF-ing Books – [Yes/No]?
- I’m now a Book Depository Affiliate!
THUS FAR IN 2018…
Favorite Non-Book Review Post
Definitely 6 of My Small but Certain Happiness – Bibliophile Edition!
Talking about things that makes me happy makes me happy too 😂
Most Difficult Non-Book Review Post
Without a doubt, it’s 5 Best Cliched Books I’ve Read EVER. This post took me years to write and my original intent was for it to have 10 (TEN!) of the best cliched books I’ve ever read. Fortunately (or not?), I eventually realized that it’d probably take me another three years to find 10 cliche books I’ll love for a long time, so I dwindled it down to 5.
~ * ~
MADE PROGRESS ON
As always, it’s my Goodreads Reading Challenge!
I’m 8 books ahead of schedule and I’m not gonna lie, it feels amazing to be ahead (especially since I’m not “cheating” by reading a bunch of graphic novels, comics and manga).
And also…the Pop Sugar 2019 Reading Challenge! (which I’ve never completed, but I do enjoy taking part in 😂😂😂)
If you’d like to join too, you can download the printable version of their challenge over here!
How is your year so far? Did you read more or lesser than expected? Found a gem you’ll totally recommend to everyone? I’d love to know so share with me in the comment section below! ❤
As always, thank you so much for reading!
Until next time everyone~